Saturday, July 4, 2009

Is connection the first fundamental requirement for social change?

[Scene - Footpath, Crouch End, London. ]

I am waiting to meet a friend. I stand on the curb and look down the road.

From behind I hear the sound of skateboard wheels clacking on the footpath. The rider, a young lad, is cautious as he approaches a driveway. He slows and clumsily steps off his board, not confident enough to manouver over the rough terrain. He turns around to catch the gaze of someone following him on foot. The lad has a look on his face of wanting approval. As I glance over my shoulder I see a man who seems to be his father. He is smiling. The boy smiles, hops back on his board and sets off again encouraged.

I think about my own son Elliott and I miss him dearly. He is a beautiful young man. We don't talk often enough and I would love to spend more time with him. I begin to stroll and as I ponder my feeling of disconnection I notice that my energy has dropped.

Looking up I see my friend approaching with a smile on his face. I smile and as we greet each other I can feel my energy lifting.
--

It occurs to me that connection with others is a primary source of happiness and positive energy, and that low energy can be largely the result of feeling disconnected from others.

So when it comes to developing models for social change, it seems that connectivity between each other is a critical element for creating the energy that is required to break out of the inertia of status quo.

2 comments:

  1. Your honesty and personal expression is a quality that invites intimacy and connection.

    I look forward to welcoming you back to the land of the long white cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pete

    Connection - beautiful honesty.
    Sometimes I notice that even with my daughter and wife so close I recognise that I could connect more. I recognise that I am at any one moment experiencing only aspects of my capacity to Love and to connect.
    Exciting to know there is so much more.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete