Monday, July 6, 2009

Why isn't public signage seen as SPAM?

[Scene - World Cafe, Crouch End, London]

I am sitting enjoying a coffee looking across the road at a beautiful old Gothic style church and the street scape stretching out beyond it.

I imagine the scene 100 years before and it occurs to me that the main difference would be the relative silence in terms of visual noise.

Signs, signs, signs, everywhere shouting at me. Demanding attention for messages that have zero relevance to me. Like spam in real life. My senses are bombarded and disturbed.

Could my sense of peace increase if the amount of signage in the streets were to decrease? I want a spam filter for public spaces.

It makes me wonder what the future might look like. More visual noise? Like the scenes portrayed in the Minority Report? Or is it possible that we can look forward to more peaceful public spaces?

Based on the success of googles advertising model, could it be that we begin to see a majority of advertising and information delivered with pinpoint accuracy through mobile devices? Reaching only the people it matters to when it matters to them?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if loud public signage were to be treated with the same disdain as spam?

1 comment:

  1. Pete ... just wait until you get back to Waiheke! Just this morning Ao' Place in Surfdale has gone Coke and a new Coke billboard has appeared in front of Surfs Up. So combined with Miami Price Cutters all red Coke marketing the discussion at the bus stop this morning revolved around painting all of Surfdale red and renaming it Cokedale.

    ReplyDelete